Changes between Version 5 and Version 6 of Scientific Advisory Board/Agenda/2020-01-08


Ignore:
Timestamp:
2020-01-09T16:48:21+01:00 (9 months ago)
Author:
clevy
Comment:

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • Scientific Advisory Board/Agenda/2020-01-08

    v5 v6  
    2323 
    2424== Summary of progress in 2019 
    25 Claire Lévy presents a summary of NEMO development progress in 2019. Highlights include: 
     25Claire Lévy presents a [attachment:"2019 progress_C.LEVY V2.pdf" summary of NEMO development progress in 2019] . Highlights include: 
    2626* Significant preparatory work for the Kernel evolution towards a 2-level time-stepping scheme. 
    2727* Work on vertical interpolation with AGRIF to allow AGRIF nests to use different vertical coordinates. 
     
    3737  
    3838== Comments on the NEMO 2020 work plan: Working Group leaders then other members of the committee 
    39 == Update from the verification and validation group (Mike; short item) 
    40 == Update on physical processes (Julien; short item) 
     39 
     40=== Kernel Working group (Mike Bell) 
     41Changes to enable the new time-stepping scheme have remained a priority and will continue apace in 2020. 
     42A post has been recruited to work on the IMMERSE action to develop horizontal pressure gradient schemes in 2020 
     43ALE functionalities will continue to be explored in 2020 following work by Jerome and Alex Megann in 2019. All this work is in line with the current NEMO Development Strategy (NDS). 
     44 
     45=== HPC Working Group (Mike Bell) 
     46Fruitful discussions were held during the 2019 merge party and a method for implementing extended haloes has been agreed which brings together the work carried out in Paris and by CMCC. The agreed approach will be implemented in 2020. 
     47Basic DO-loop macros will be introduced early in 2020. A MetO WP item will extend this to enable 2D tiling. 
     48Oriol (BSC) and Sam (ECMWF) will implement a mixed precision capability. 
     49Exploratory work has been carried out into adaptation for GPUs (Mirek (MetO) and Andrew Porter (STFC)). The approach used so far has no impact on the code. 
     50All this work is in line with the current NDS. 
     51 
     52=== AGRIF Working Group (Jérôme Chanut)  
     532020 goals include: 
     54* Further changes to enable vertical refinement. 
     55* Adapting AGRIF to RK3 time-stepping 
     56* Introducing more MPP flexibility 
     57 
     58In addition, a CMEMS AGRIF development project is ending and it is important not to lose these developments which include: 
     59* A New nesting tool based on DOMAINcfg 
     60* E-W cyclic and North-fold AGRIF domains 
     61* An update to the AGRIF external library (also allows for overlapping grids) 
     62There are dependencies between this work and some of the Kernel work which may mean the overall WP is too ambitious. Needs some coordination (or at least an agreed calendar).[[br]] 
     63'''Action: Andrew and Dave S to investigate possibility of completing KERNEL-04_Storkey_Coward_RK3_stage3 by early Summer.'''[[br]] 
     64 
     65This pressure can be relieved if AGRIF does not need to be working with RK3 by the end of the year. Julien stated the IMMERSE requirement which is for a demonstration configuration with AGRIF nests by the end of the year – but the time-stepping to be used is unspecified. Claire asked if implementing the new AGRIF options for LF first and then RK3 later would mean a duplication of effort? The answer is not too much. 
     66=== Sea-ice Working group (Martin Vancopennolle)  
     67 
     682020 goals include: 
     69* EAP rheology (ongoing) 
     70* VP rheology 
     71* Evaluation runs 
     72* Updating the NDS for SI3  
     73* SI3 reference manual 
     74 
     752019 included lots of distractions elsewhere so that the work scheduled has not been done developments nor documentation but both are expected to pick up again in 2020. The Sea-ice advection is still being worked on by Clement. 
     76'''Action: Martin and Ed to add the actions into the 2020 proposed workplan'''   
     77 
     78===  Air-Sea interaction WG (Sébastien Masson) 
     792020 goals include: 
     80Further work on OSMOSIS (including optimisation by Simon) 
     81The question was asked whether or not the WG had expressed a longer-term view? 
     82 
     83=== Biogeochemistry WG (Olivier Aumont) 
     842020 goals include: 
     85* Accounting for biological fluxes between ice and ocean (requires coordination with Sea-ice WG). 
     86* Compatibility of AGRIF with passive tracers 
     87* Common light penetration algorithm 
     88* Further work on coarsening. The approach here is to use OASIS to couple the BGCM to the physics but this work (by Eric) relies on Clement Bricaud’s coarsening code. 
     89Rachid Benshila reported that the planned update to the AGRIF library should enable the possibility of using AGRIF (via a Grand-mother grid) to perform coarsening but there are no current plans to explore this option.[[br]] 
     90Given these plans involve three WGs (AGRIF/Sea-ice/BGC) the chair suggested a multi-group discussion may be useful later in the year '''Action: Olivier Aumont 
     91''' 
     92=== Data interfaces action 
     932020 goals include: 
     94* Cleaning of IOM. Simon has proposed this following some of the changes he had to make for the tidal harmonics work in 2019. The IOM code is due for a refresh and Sebastien is aware of the plans. 
     95* NEMO to JEDI interface for NEMOVAR. This was generally felt to be out of scope as a shared action but will be investigated as a specific action by the MetO. 
     96 
     97=== Verification and validation WG (Mike Bell) 
     982019 saw much discussion and the generation of useful ideas.  
     99Work has started on writing a roadmap based on these discussions and this will continue throughout 2020 
     100 
     101=== Physical Process WG (Julie Le Sommer) 
     102Rather than a single long-term group, this WG’s purpose is to foster small, short-lived groups based on specific interests. Two candidates identified in 2019 are: 
     103 
     104* Tides and fast barotropic motions.  
     105  Fred Dupont has already taken the initiative and formed a group. Members include Jerome, Enda (MetO) and Simon 
     106* Eddy closures for non-eddying simulations 
     107GEOMETRIC being the front-runner as far as NEMO is concerned but some members are also part of a US initiative which will explore other options. Timing may be critical and NEMO cannot afford to react too slowly in this field. A GEOMETRIC publication is imminent. The code exists but is not yet in the trunk or any official release. George Nurser is to work on a GEOMETRIC test-case; this should have priority over OSMOSIS plans in 2020. 
     108 
     109 
    41110== How to keep NEMO live 10 years from now (see second attachment) 
    42111== Messages to Steering Committee (Mike; short item)