Opened 3 months ago

Closed 3 weeks ago

#745 closed enhancement (fixed)

Add mass balance closure variables to monitoring

Reported by: luyssaert Owned by: mmcgrath
Priority: minor Milestone: ORCHIDEE 4.1
Component: Biogeochemical processes Version: trunc
Keywords: Cc:

Description (last modified by luyssaert)

When running ORCHIDEE in production mode, mass balance checks (=model crashes when violated) for C and N could be replaced by mass balance monitoring (=store result of mass balance checks). This setting (err_act = 1) is expected to save some run time. The mass balance checks for C and N should be added to the monitoring tools such that mass balance is routinely checked. To do:

  • add all MBC_xxx variables to the monitoring
  • remove duplicated variables. Looks like the monitoring plots the same variables from stomate and ipcc history files. Remove the ipcc variables and keep the stomate variables.


Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 2 months ago by luyssaert

  • Description modified (diff)

comment:2 Changed 2 months ago by mmcgrath

  • Owner changed from somebody to mmcgrath
  • Status changed from new to accepted

comment:3 Changed 4 weeks ago by mmcgrath

This has mostly been corrected with commit r7041.

Patricia still needs the changes made for OOL_SEC_STO_FG3nd, so I will do that. And duplicate variables still need to be checked.

comment:4 Changed 3 weeks ago by mmcgrath

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from accepted to closed

I made the changes for OOL_SEC_STO_FG3nd for the .card with 1M in place of 1Y, as well as updating the monitoring and stomate.card files to match what is done in OOL_SEC_STO_FG2.

The only variable I found repeated in stomate and sechiba was LAI. I tried to remove this from sechiba, but there is a problem that the monitoring cannot perform the global averaging operation in combination with a weighted mean; therefore, we need to use a variable that is already at the pixel level. The LAI in sechiba is at the pixel-level; that in stomate is not. Therefore, I remove lai_lands from stomate and keep it in sechiba.

There was confusion over cSoil in the monitoring. cSoil is written in the stomate_ipcc history files, where it is really just the carbon in the soil (variable tot_soil_carb). However, in the monitoring (POST/monitoring01_stomate.cfg) the name cSoil_lands is given to the variable TOTAL_SOIL_CARB from stomate_history, which includes the litter pool (variable tot_litter_soil_carb in stomate).

I changed TOTAL_SOIL_CARB in stomate_lpj to be tot_soil_carb instead of tot_litter_soil_carb. I also added the stomate_lpj variable tot_litter_soil_carb could be added as a separate output variable (TOTAL_SOIL_LITTER_CARB).

The changes are committed in r7055 and r7056.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.